Sunday, November 14, 2010

The First Time on the Water

The first time I went kayak fishing was a few days after we collected my kayak from the store. I chose the Causeway Lake just out of Yeppoon because it is sheltered from strong surf, currants and is reasonably shallow. Before loading my fishing gear into the yak I did a test paddle allowing me to get the feel for my new fishing vessel and to get to know its limits (like speed, turning and stability). Within ten minutes of cruising over the sand flats I returned and loaded my fishing gear in. my model of kayak is the Fishing Espri. I chose it because it is very versatile for fishing in surfy conditions, estuaries and dams like Awoonga. It has very substantial storage in the hull itself which can be accessed by the three water proof hatches. It also has two flush mount rod holders just behind the seat and two snap-lock rod holders in the front. On my Okuma 3-6kg travel rod with a Flame F-30, I started by trolling a Rapala X-Rap shallow diver so I could cover as much water as possible. I moved on to casting into snaggy areas that seemed very promising for mangrove jacks and fingermark but had not considered casting from a seated position which takes a bit of getting used to. On my way back I hooked a flathead on a killalure which was trolled along a drop-off next to a sand bar. After continuing to troll various bibbed minnows through the back creeks of the causeway I returned to the car to reload to kayak. At first it required two people to lift the kayak onto the v-shaped water craft carriers on the top of the Pajero but after some practice it becomes easier to do by your self.

Rhett Thorne

No comments:

Post a Comment