Thursday, April 25, 2013

Williamson Gyro Jig


With the dropping water temperature along the coast, the annual run of adrenalin pumping pelagics has just begun. While mackerel and tuna can be encountered all year round, they reach their prime during the winter months, becoming the target species for many offshore sport fishermen.
Spanish Mackerel are a popular sportsfish this time of year.
 
After just buying my new Okuma Salina 3 4000, I had been keener than ever to put it to the test against some big fish. When my mate Peter invited me for a fish on his boat, I had a feeling we would be put onto some quality fish. With my Salina 3 paired to my new 5-10kg 7’ Okuma Signature Series rod, it became apparent to me that this would quickly become my favourite casting combo for fishing in the deep end.

A nice Goldy on the Williamson Gyro Jig.
Upon arrival at our first mark, I tied on a 40g Williamson Gyro Jig and began casting towards a rocky ledge. On the first few casts I burned the lure back to the boat, skipping it along the surface, in attempt to trigger an aggressive mackerel to bite. After getting no response on the surface I let the lure sink along the structure before commencing a stop start retrieve. Within a few winds after a quick pause my rod buckled over as a fish smashed my lure near the bottom. Having a double hookup with one of my other mates, we both fought our fish back to the boat. The result of our efforts was a solid Golden Trevally on the Gyro Jig and my mates toothy Barracuda on a hardbody style lure.
We then spent some time pursuing reefies, managing to catch a variety of nannygai, cod and jobfish, before returning to the pelagic scene. Our primary tactic was to troll hardbody lures which quickly produced a number of small Spanish Mackerel. While my mates had their lures swimming behind the bubble trail, I continued casting the Gyro jig out to the side as we cruised along the rock wall.
Putting a good bend in my Signature Series rod.
 As we neared the end of the wall I spotted a small school of surface feeding pelagics, gorging themselves silly on tiny baitfish. In attempted to get in casting range of the fish we motored closer to the school, which was quickly spooked and began to disperse into the deep. At the last moment we were within range of the scattered school. I cast the Gyro jig just past the mark and began burning it back to the boat through the remaining fish. Almost instantly I buried the hooks into the mouth of a very angry fish. With explosive speed the fish took off, nearly pulling me into the water with it. The smooth drag of my Salina 3 harmoniously sung, as the 20lb braid disappeared from my spool.  Working hard to gain back my line, the fish hung deeper in the water, constantly powering under the boat and popping up on the other side. I had to continuously manoeuvre the rod around the bow of the boat, to prevent the fish from busting me off.

 
With the fight drawing out to just over half an hour, the fish reluctantly surfaced and was swiftly netted and hauled into the boat by my good mate Clayton.  This was my first Northern Bluefin/ Longtail tuna and will most certainly be a memorable catch. From my experience throughout the day I was astonished as to how well the Williamson Gyro Jigs performed. With the built in swivel, excellent finish, durable construction and strong hooks, I dare say that this lure is going to get a hell of a workout against many more pelagic speedsters in the future.

                                  Till next time,

                                          Rhett Thorne





No comments:

Post a Comment